- Job Title: Chief AV Engineer
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Date Posted: 2/20/2018
- Location: Washington, DC
- Job #: JO-1710-816
Chief Engineer – Washington DC
Reports To: Enterprise Technology Manager
Oversee all phases of engineering projects and technology upgrades. This includes document creation, project management, design engineering, consultation, lifecycle repair and maintenance of an active audiovisual, conferencing, digital media, production, integration, and AV/IT environment which contains both innovative, cutting edge technology as well as legacy equipment and evolving infrastructure.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Provide technical expertise and the application of best practices in the field of AV engineering, design and project management, supporting all related disciplines such as integrated systems development, troubleshooting, monitoring,, calibration,, maintenance support, documentation and infrastructure architecture
- Interact with internal and external clients to consult and provide engineering solutions
- Interact and work collaboratively with outside consultants and contractors in order to control quality and ensure that all work performed meets both the organization’s and industry standards and best practices.
- Review and monitor equipment and integrated systems throughout its lifecycle; provide guidance for those working with the equipment on a daily basis
- Supervise and/or undertake the repair, replacement, or creation of engineered solutions of equipment and infrastructure as needed in order to keep integrated systems and enterprise technology functional and performing to industry standards
- Apply troubleshooting best practices and root cause analysis in an effort to identify weaknesses, minimizing recurrence, and improve future design and integration
- Maintain project stability and integrity by developing project schedules, proactively managing changes in project scope, identifying potential pitfalls and devising contingency plans
- Coordinate and manage the repair and replacement of equipment working with the in-house maintenance team as well as third party vendors, service personnel and/or outside contractors
- Manage and maintain database of equipment assets and inventory
- Maintain an ongoing equipment wish list, making recommendations as needed. Evaluate needs and manage items requested by technicians and review in monthly engineering and integration meetings with staff.
- Recommend alternatives to infrastructure including replacement of systems and equipment
- Provide guidance and support for installation projects; working with the Integration Manager, ensure that projects are completed on time, on budget and within scope.
- Perform technology watch on industry/market trends advising management on benefits and disadvantages of related decisions and the impact on business
- Maintain system documentation and service manuals related to and useful for installation work, and diagnostic reference for current repairs and future upgrades
- Create and update technical drawings, signal flow diagrams and integrated systems designs in standard software packages such as CAD, Visio, etc.
- Draft and report service level agreements for preventative maintenance of clients’ systems
- Serve as Chief Engineer during large scale staging events and for broadcast level live news feeds to other organizations throughout the campus; Oversee technical infrastructure for all live and broadcast productions
- Interact often with other technical staff such as installers, electrical contractors, network integration specialists, videoconferencing technicians, etc.
- Train audiovisual technical staff on network engineering, systems troubleshooting, new equipment features and other related AV and IT matters
- Responsible for working with the Senior Operations Manager to manage and arrange for the maintenance and support of the facility and its remote sites
- Provide technical solutions throughout the network and complete other projects as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
- In-depth knowledge of legacy and state-of-the industry multimedia systems and equipment used in best-in-class conference centers
- Demonstrated expertise in analyzing and solving complex technical problems and an interest in developing new strategies
- An overall understanding of the live program production process is necessary and a strong sense of urgency in solving customer requests to ensure timely resolution is critical
- Strong results orientation with a flexible attitude to deliver seamless and timely services to customers
- Familiar with all types of AV equipment and control systems, including AMX, Crestron, Dante, Q-Sys, etc.
- Strong strategic writing and engineering documentation skills
- Proficient understanding of LAN/WAN hardware and software for switches, hubs, routers, bridges, modems, multiplexors, point-to-point data circuits via copper and fiber for audio and video and control
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and troubleshooting skills related to videoconferencing, connectivity and A/V equipment required; firm understanding of global videoconferencing standards
- Experienced in full setup, configuration and troubleshooting to the network level on Cisco and similar videoconferencing systems
- Maintain high and low-end video projectors and displays such as Christie, Sony, NEC, etc.
- In-depth “hands on” knowledge of audio and video production tools such as cameras, mixers, monitors, editing systems, etc. and able to correctly setup and diagnose problems with such equipment
- Ability to liaise with manufacturers and integrators to install, test and recalibrate new and newly repaired gear
- Ability to create, read and notate on high-level schematics, signal flow diagrams and construction drawings; Proficient with Auto CAD
- Ability to manage project budgets, accounting and reporting
- Candidate must be a proactive leader and a team player
- Candidate must have strong verbal communications skills, be well organized and capable of handling multiple assignments
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to supervise small teams. Sensitivity and tact in dealing with staff/partners/clients at different levels in a culturally diverse environment
- Candidate must have a commitment to excellence and to ongoing education in Engineering and IT and to the mastery of his or her craft
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATIONS
- 8+ years’ broadcast, AV or telecommunications experience; large market/facility
- 3+ years’ experience supervisory experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Electronic Engineering or related field preferred
- InfoComm (CTS, CTS-D and/or CTS-I), CCNA, PMP or other related certifications preferred
Customer Service Commitment
TeamPeople is an organization dedicated to providing superior customer service. Outstanding customer service encompasses everything from performing the technical, creative and operational aspects of our jobs to the best of our ability, to going the extra mile to assist our customers and colleagues in any way. TeamPeople is an Equal Opportunity Employer.